IT’S A HOT MARKET! HOME VALUES ARE UP! Now is the time to Sell! FREE Analysis.
Include a Home Address and Email Address below to receive a Free Home Valuation Analysis Report.
The list below will walk you through everything you need to know about getting a home in ship shape for selling.
- Remove peeling and chipped paint; replace with a fresh coat.
- Clear gutters and downspouts.
- Make sure there is good exterior lighting and all walkway lights and front-door lanterns work.
- Remove any moss from the roof.
- Mow and trim grass; re-seed and fertilize where necessary.
- Prune all overgrown trees and shrubs.
- Remove or replace dead or diseased plants, shrubs and trees.
- Clean grease and oil stains from driveway.
- Weed flower beds.
- Paint or stain worn areas in wood decks.
- Remove grass growing in concrete cracks; sweep off debris from shrubs and trees.
- Clean all deck rails and make sure they’re secure; replace missing slats or posts.
- Polish the hardware on the door until it shines.
- Add a fresh coat of paint to get rid of nicks.
- Clean the glass on the storm door; make certain the screen is secure.
- Make sure the doorbell operates properly and there are no squeaks when the door is opened or closed.
- Clean all windows—inside and out.
- If needed, add a fresh coat of paint to the window trims and sills.
- Make sure all windows open and close easily.
- Replace cracked windowpanes and those with broken seals.
- Make sure window screens are secure; replace any screens with holes or tears.
Living Room/Dining Room/Family Room/Bedroom
- Give the room a fresh coat of paint if necessary (use neutral colors where possible).
- Repair cracks and holes in ceiling and walls.
- Make sure all wallpaper is secure.
- Repaint any woodwork that is worn or chipped.
- Clean draperies and blinds; open them to maximize light.
- Make sure draperies and blinds open and close.
- Wash windows.
- Steam-clean carpets. Clean rugs and wood flooring, and remove any stains or odors.
- Position the furniture to showcase the size and space of the room.
- Put away toys and hobby supplies; remove extra magazines and books from tables.
- Store family photos and other personal effects.
- Leave some lighting on – especially in rooms without a lot of natural light.
- Neatly make up the beds.
- Keep all closets clean and organized; treat any odors.
- Make bed every day; put away dirty laundry; keep bedside table clear of clutter.
- Make sure countertops and sinks are clean, de-cluttered, and stain-free.
- Fix dripping faucets.
- Organize pantry and cupboards so they appear clean, neat, and spacious.
- Make sure the refrigerator and freezer are defrosted and free of odors.
- Clean the oven and cook-top thoroughly.
- Make sure dirty dishes are cleaned and put away every day.
- Make sure sinks, tubs, showers, and countertops are clean and free of stains.
- Repair any leaky faucets.
- Remove grout and soap stains from tile.
- Replace any missing or cracked tiles or grout.
- Make sure all joints are caulked.
- Make sure all fixtures, including heat lamps and exhaust fans, are operating.
- Install a new shower curtain.
- Store all supplies, such as toilet paper, shampoo bottles, and cleansers.
- Put away prescriptions, jewelry, and any items/valuables that are at risk for theft.
Your Windermere Agent is an expert on this subject, so take advantage of that resource when the time is right…